My Zimbio
Top Stories

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Vegan morality

I just listened to some Propagandhi for old times sake last night. For those who don't know them they're veganarchists (vegan anarchists). I have no problem with anarchism. It usually has quite a bit of truth to it but I just can't understand how people can be moral about being vegetarian or vegan.

I have no problem with vegetarianism or veganism as a health or personal taste choice but Propagandhi frames veganism as an animal rights issue. If someone is going to take that stance then they better start arresting all members of the animal kingdom who kill and eat other animals because it happens all the time. It's usually for food but...that makes sense. If you're a meat eating animal, killing another animal makes sense if you want to eat.

And before anyone says "Yeah, well humans don't have all sharp fangs so we can't be carnivores." That's right, we have a lot of flat, grindy teeth and a few pointed ones on the top and the bottom. Do you know what that means? OMNIVORE.

This, to me, is the problem with being too self righteous about your causes (and I am very guilty of this too) is that you often look just as crazy as the extremist on the other side.

No comments: