My Zimbio
Top Stories

Monday, July 14, 2008

My take on the New Yorker cover today

I don't intend this to be a long post but since the New Yorker cover is the topic in the news today I thought I'd just weigh in with my opinion on the topic.

I understand the satire of it and I don't particularly have a problem with it because I agree that most New Yorker readers will understand the satire but my one thought on it is that it could've been done better. Here's the issue: satire needs to have someone they're lampooning or ridiculing and they are usually, if not always, the center of the satire. Whether it's a person, a group, a system or idea I feel like the object of satire needs to be front and center. The awkwardness of the New Yorker cover is that the only thing presented is Barack and Michelle Obama. I think it would be more acceptable if it were Karl Rove or some right wing pundit describing this pictorally on the cover or a picture of the McCain camp denying helping the spread of the rumors at all.

I acknowledge the satire and can see the humor, but it's not really that well done (especially considering it's the New Yorker).

No comments: