My Zimbio
Top Stories

Friday, December 12, 2008

Clarification on guns

Ok, I grew up with guns all my life and have no moral objection to the idea of people owning them. But I want to clarify what a semi-automatic weapon is because I think people misunderstand the term:

Semi-automatic means that a gun fires one bullet each time you pull the trigger and you don't have to re-cock the weapon in between. Essentially ALL pistols are semi-automatic.

Uzis and assault rifles often have the ability to switch to semi-automatic but it's automatic weapons that have the machine quality of firing bullets as long as you're holding the trigger down and firing large numbers of bullets per minute.

The only guns that typically are not even semi-automatic are revolvers, and most shotguns and rifles.

I bring this up because recently there was a handgun murder reported in the news and I heard a colleague say "it wasn't just an ordinary gun. It was a semi-automatic .357or something." Okay:
1. That is a pretty normal gun. Most, damn near all, pistols are semi-automatic.
2. People who can commit murder of one or two people with a pistol could kill them just as easily with a single action revolver or shot gun. Automatic weapons would be needed to kill large numbers of people

That being said, I support cities rights to ban guns (although I'm not a huge fan of statewide bans) and in general I think we should regulate the shit out of guns (registration, licensing for gun owners, mandatory gun safety training) because we do have a major problem with gun violence but a national semiautomatic weapon ban seems, to me, to miss the point.

No comments: