My Zimbio
Top Stories

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Etiquette and reinforcing the class structure

I've been meaning to write about this for a while (a couple of weeks ago my office went through etiquette training) but never got around to it but I would really like to address it.

I hate the idea of formalized etiquette, especially when it comes to table manners and how to eat "properly." I am all for being considerate and polite at a dinner table but once you formalize a set of nearly arbitrary rules that you judge people by I think that solely for the purpose of reinforcing the class structure. Someone from a lower class can make money but if they don't learn your precious set of rules they can't join the club.

Well, anyone who judges me, or anyone else, by such rules isn't someone I want to be spending much time with because they are probably a useless piece of shit getting by in life on tradition and legacy instead of talent and skill.

And anyone who thinks "I wish people didn't judge people that way either, but they do so you better learn the rules" can eat my shit because you're just propagating the corrupt, unfair system. Change starts with each individual so stop sucking up to those who have the power and start standing up against corrupt uses of power and obstacles to others to keep them out of power.

No comments: