My Zimbio
Top Stories

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Hillary playing Giuliani-esque expectations game?

I can appreciate Hillary Clinton playing the game of lowering expectations in all the states voting in February (Obama was trying hard to lower them on Super Tuesday too) but the 'wait till the big states' approach that Hillary is taking lately seems similar to Giuliani's 'wait till Florida' approach. As I remember that didn't work out too well for him.

Granted the big states are more valuable if you win them by a large margin but I think the convincing wins in Maine and Viriginia by significant margins (both states Hillary was supposed to have a shot in) hints at the fact that momentum is still very important and voters (including superdelegates) tend to break for a perceived winner. I think it is/was a major campaign mistake to not campaign strongly in every state. Giving up has, in my opinion, lost a lot delegates and possibly the entire nomination. I realize that Hillary's lack of fundraising ability compared to Obama may play a huge role in this but she didn't even try to hide the fact that she gave up in certain states and I think that may come back to haunt her.

No comments: